Sunday, February 13, 2011

Forrest Gump Was On To Something!

The line is memorable..."life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get!" Well, it is fitting on Valentines Day to talk about chocolate, life and love...in that order. (I know my priorities!)

I have noticed over the last several months that one of the metaphors I use with clients when talking about life and balance and change is the concept of making chocolate. There is an alchemical process to making chocolate and the word to describe this delicious process is called "tempering." What a great word and how perfect it is! Tempering chocolate is everything in making chocolate. Bring up the heat too slowly and the chocolate will be lumpy and congeal...too fast and the chocolate will burn or be streaky and dull. But "tempered" just right, the chocolate is shiny and smooth and has a delicious snap to it.

Shiny, smooth, snappy! Sounds like some great adjectives to brighten up a mood, to spark one's personal energy...to begin a new day. Tempering is the balance...just the right blend of heat and time...not too much temper, anger, frustration or enough energy, passion and drive. Temper, tempering, temperature...

I spoke a bit about chocolate and life, so here's to love. To share a bit about a new love on Valentine's Day, I just finished my second weekend acupressure class and I am LOVING it! (I still have my original love, my husband Drew. Celebrating 25 years in May!) Talk about balance and harmony and energy. Big weekend commitments...classes are three days 9 am to 6 pm so I will keep aware of "balance" while adding in this new love! Get ready everyone...I want a group of "clients" for practicing!

On this day of love, sending love and blessings to a friend who had surgery today...he is in my thoughts and another who's father passed away.

Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Birthday to family and friends!

Good Night...Sweet "Tempered Chocolate Dreams!"

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hearing you talk about this the other day. So glad you have posted it so everyone can read it.
    It reminds me of a koan that Roshi once gave us at a sesshin in Tucson years ago. It was "not too much - not too little". As was the custom, we were to sit with it and then go in to see him on a one to one and present the answer to him. Always with koans a showing not a telling.
    At first when I heard the koan I thought that it sounded so beige and I just knew that LIFE was not beige. So when I went in I said " But Roshi how about making love!?" And he smiled. Then I said "And how about fireworks!?" And he smiled again. And then I got it and he saw that I got it. Low key is low key. Understated is understated and love making is love making and fireworks are fireworks. Exactly as they are - happenings are just that - not too much and not too little. Therefore chocolate - not too much - not too little.
    Blessings on those for who you pray.

    ReplyDelete