Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's Alive

Zombie : Lots of Zombie hands reaching upwards, with blood splats.This is the first thought that popped into my head when I reflected on my current creative output. That old, funny monster movie expression - it's alive! The one that has that hint of hysteria around the edges as the chaos of the monster - the beast is unleashed. Well, I'm going to turn that concept right on its head because in this case the beast is a creative explosion of new classes, workshops, connections, clients and a feeling of being empowered like never before. Ok, let me break this down for you. 

Keeping in the theme of the horror film genre, though, I'm placing it strictly in the realm of those hilarious and slightly campy 50's B movies. The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob and the classic Night of the Living Dead come to mind. Now, bear with me as my 'catching fire' mentality (remember my earlier post about ideas are contagious - catch some) well, I woke up with these cylinders firing and I am putting fingers to keys to share my particular brand of insight and albeit quirky humor.

Ok, so I am about to juxtapose spiritual awakening and 50's B horror movies - and they said it couldn't be done.

In contrast to my amazing technicolor dreamchair life at present, looking back, no - feeling back - I was one of those creatures from Night of the Living Dead.

A zombie.

Much better looking by the way, but still - dead.

Now, I would absolutely NOT have understood that at the time. I was living a seemingly stable, orderly - a few buttons undone life.

 And then the weirdness. This is what being spiritual awakened feels like - weird.  It's not what we think - it is never what we think.

And it is only in hindsight or as Martha Beck so beautifully notes - in telling the story backwards, that we can clearly see the truth unfolded. But during the unfolding - forget it. Fear and resistance so strong, that just like those zombies, I was possessed with a set of beliefs and conditions so powerful that they had literally sucked me dry and exhausted the hell out of me. And just like in the horror movies, as the monster approaches and goes in for the kill and depending on whether you are the star (keep that in mind) there is surrender and death. And then...rebirth. I know, it is a quirky analogy and I haven't thought through all the kinks but I think you get the basic hilarious premise.*

The monster, the demon, the creature from the black lagoon is inevitable.

Change is inevitable.

And what that change does is magical.

There is a brilliant tool that Martha Beck details in her book Finding Your Own North Star.  Next time, I'll spend some time sharing the change cycle.

But for today, just be aware of that one key phrase - change is inevitable. 

A new mantra.

A new perspective.

A new creature emerging from the depths - a new awakening from the dark night.  Because, reality is that the 'creature' is on both sides of the experience. Dead then alive, dead then alive, then alive, alive, alive!

*Practicing with the play and post concept for the blog today.  Just letting the quirky mind create...because it can.  All questions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment